The Jamaican Canadian Association of Nurses Education Scholarships are available to students enrolled in a nursing program in Canada.
To promote education by providing scholarships to selected students who are currently enrolled in their second year or higher of a nursing program at a Canadian College or University.
- Students must be of Afro-Caribbean Canadian descent/heritage.
- Currently enrolled in second year or higher of a nursing program
- A minimum B+ average or equivalent Grade Point Average (GPA).
- Submit a letter from the academic institution that states student’s current standing and level of achievement in the program.
- A minimum of two recommendations are required. One must be from your professor or instructor from the academic institution you are currently enrolled and the second letter should be from a volunteer organization and signed by your immediate supervisor. Family members/relatives/students are not eligible to write recommendations.
- Be able to articulate current and ongoing financial need.
- Preference may be given to those who have not received any previous scholarship from the Jamaican Canadian Association of Nurses Education Scholarship fund.
The Recipient of the Scholarship must:
- Be prepared to participate in future award ceremonies and serve as a role model for others in the JCAN community.
- Support JCAN’s mission: Give back, Give health,as demonstrated by student involvement in volunteer activities and leadership roles.
- Demonstrate evidence of ongoing participation in health projects with JCAN or the wider communities through volunteerism.
Note: The value of the scholarship will be a minimum of $1000.00.
All scholarship applications are judged on their own merit including individual student circumstances, academic status and student involvement in volunteer activities and or community involvement.
Please complete this application form.
Dates for scholarship submission commences January 29 and no later than April 15, each year.
Incomplete or late applications may not be accepted.
Please enclose the following:
- A copy of Academic Transcript
- Two letters of reference, one must be from your professor or instructor from the academic institution you are currently enrolled and the second letter should be from a volunteer organization and signed by your immediate supervisor.
- A 300–500 word Expression of Interest noting and entitled “Why I Should Receive the JCAN Scholarship Award?”